The Cookbook

Pages

Thursday, September 2, 2010

Vegetables

Mashed Potato Bar

This is what my sweet boss did for my retirement party at her house. I love mashed potatoes so it was perfect for me. It is also great if you work and need something that you can cook in your crock pot during the day.

This is not a perfect science either. It just depends on how much you need. So you can either add or subtract from my amounts to fit your needs. I also use red potatoes, but you can use what you like best. I'm going to base this recipe on serving my family of nine and we all (except Ron, he likes them, but not as much as the rest of us) LOVE mashed potatoes.
  • 10-12 large red potatoes, peeled and diced
  • enough water to cover potatoes in the crock pot, (or if you have time cook on the stove)
  • salt water to your taste
  • Cook until fork tender; drain and mash (I use electric hand mixer) and add 1 ½ to 2 sticks of oleo, or butter if you prefer (did I tell you these are not dietetic). Then add enough milk to make them creamy.
  • Place them back in the crockpot on low or warm.
Toppings:
  • chives
  • cheese
  • sour cream
  • real bacon bits
  • extra oleo or butter
  • anything else you can think of to make them tasty
Serve in champagne or wine glasses or any pretty glasses you might have. Enjoy!

Susan Cox via Sherry Green, December 2007

Crock Pot Mashed Potatoes

6-8 potatoes
1 (14 oz.) can chicken broth
¾ C. milk
½ C. sour cream
4 oz. cream cheese
  • Peel potatoes and cut into ½" chunks. Place potatoes in a crock pot with chicken broth and milk. Cook on low for 4 hours or until potatoes are tender.
  • When potatoes are tender mash well with sour cream and cream cheese.
Lynn's Kitchen Adventures, September 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment